Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Great Highchair Debate

Baby does not have a high chair. *Gasp*

I know, we've made it a whole nine months and haven't gotten one. Does that mean Baby sits on our laps when we feed her? Or wanders around the house while we run after her and shovel food into her mouth? No, but that does make an interesting picture.

In reality, Baby sits in her Bumbo during dinner time. She is positioned at the head of the table, right in between Husband and I so we can take turns shoveling food into her. It's more like catching things before they fall, but you get the idea.

Husband would really like to get a highchair for her, but I keep digging my heels in and I am trying to figure out why. What do I have against highchairs?

In my head, a highchair goes in the corner of the kitchen. Nobody puts Baby in the corner (okay, I totally had to! I know I just lost half my readership right there. To the other seven of you who are sticking through this post, thanks and I will attempt to control myself). I do feel that it separates the child from the parents, though. Right now I really like the fact that Baby is sitting right at the table with us, and her food is on the table, just like Mommy and Daddy's. It sets the precedent for family dinners to come.

Another factor to consider is space. Granted, I do have the space for a highchair, but I don't want to see this ugly plastic thing staring at me. I like that the Bumbo just sits on a chair and is hidden under the table when the chair is pushed in. No eyesores there.

I know there are high chairs that attach to the table, but our table is flimsy and I don't think it would be very safe for Baby. Another option is to get one that sits on a chair. Isn't that the same thing as the Bumbo? It's probably safer, though. Right now we can't walk away from the table because Baby isn't strapped in and could possibly twist herself out of it. A highchair would ensure her safety.

I think I need to do some more research, although I have the feeling Husband is going to get his way on this one. Traditional highchair, here we come.

3 comments:

  1. Your Mother had one of those hang on the table chairs and your sister was bouncing in it and hard a hard landing on the floor. Don't get one of those.

    Auntie Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother and sister-in-law have one of the ones that attaches to the seat...if you get one of the portable ones, you can even take it when you go out (or to families houses). :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update- we got a space saver one that attaches to a regular chair. Auntie Chris, I remember the story of my sister falling! I talked Husband out of the more traditional ones and we compromised. Plus, just like you said Melissa, we can take it when we travel!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on my blog!