Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Surrogate Mom

Today I found out that an acquaintance of mine is going to be a surrogate mom.  Actually, that's not true.  She IS a surrogate mom.  She was surgically implanted with a few fertilized eggs from another couple.  You know, she's of those people you read about who carries a baby for another couple who can't for whatever reason have a baby on their own.  I've never met one (that I know of) in real life before.    

She is currently a few weeks along and was talking about the possibility of having triplets and going on bedrest.  She told me about testing her HCG levels and that they have been increasing exponentially.  Granted, she won't find out for a few weeks longer if there even is more than one in there, but the possibility is there.

It's something that's hard for me to wrap my head around.  She already has two kids of her own, both elementary school age.  I'm not exactly sure why she decided to do it.  Maybe for the money?  To give someone else the joy of a child?

I wonder what her Husband thinks.  I think mine would be a little turned off by the fact that I was carrying someone else's child.

Not to mention the fact that you are going through pregnancy again (she was one of THOSE who loved it), and then labor or a C-Section at the end.  Only to give the babies to their predetermined parents.

I just don't know if I could do that.  Could you?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!