Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

I've Been Bitten

It finally happened.  Baby was bound to figure out how to use those two teeth of hers sooner or later.  I was really hoping for later.  Well, to be honest I was really hoping for never. 

I thought that since we'd come this far, she was just going to skip the whole biting mommy while nursing phase.  I was going to be one of those moms that people hate when they compare children and I say my baby never bit me.  You know, like the moms who say they loved being pregnant.  Or that labor was a breeze.  Or their baby slept through the night from the day they came home for the hospital.  One of THOSE moms.  Apparently it wasn't meant to be.  I don't know what I was thinking.  None of the other aforementioned items was true for me.  Why did I think this one would be?

On with the story.

It happened late one night.  I was nursing Baby like normal and thinking happy Mommy thoughts.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, I felt a sharp, shooting pain. I looked down in surprise at Baby and she grinned wickedly up at me.  I told her no and flicked her cheek, hoping to dissuade her.  She didn't seemed phased and went right back to nursing.

A few moments later, I felt an even sharper pain and Baby was staring up at me with big, blue eyes.  I told her no, and flicked her cheek.  She refused to let go and I was in PAIN.  I pinched her cheek this time.  Still, she held on.  I pinched harder and she let go and started to wail. 

I was done nursing for the night and Baby went to bed.  I still had throbbing pain.  Being bitten hurts! 

The next morning Baby had red marks where I had pinched her cheek.  I dropped her off at daycare and she still had prominent red marks on her cheek.  I felt obligated to explain to daycare what had caused them and hoped they didn't report me. 

Thankfully, by the end of the day the red marks were gone.  I nursed her again and she hasn't bitten me quite as hard since.  We're still working on it though and I've become slightly paranoid every time I nurse hoping she doesn't bite me again. 

Score one for bottle feeding.  





 

1 comment:

  1. I was with a friend while she was nursing her daughter and her baby bit her. She flicked baby on the forehead. I thought it was sooo mean!

    But the first time both my kids bit me, I flicked them. And the first time was the last time for both.

    BTW, I cried both times :'(

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on my blog!