Monday, July 19, 2010

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Back to Work I Go

Today was my first day back to work in five months. OK, it wasn't really work, but it was an all day eight to four training, so it totally counts. Plus, I have to go back again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And the next. Etc. Until the end of this week. Then I get a week or so off until I really start up again.

Since it's a training, I wasn't too stressed out about it. Just wait until I start teaching again. (The dreams have already started! The other night I dreamed that I slept through the first two periods then had to rush in and the principal was really mad at me.) I may have gone a little list crazy, but in a good way. The first list I made was a list of what I needed to bring for the training, such as paper, pencils, etc.

Then I made a list of what I needed to bring in my "medical bag." I was going to be gone all day, so I had to bring a breastpump to express milk. I had to remember the cooler, the bottles, all the pieces to the pump, a towel to wipe up messes, and something of Baby's to help me along.

Next was a list I left for Husband. (He switched around his work schedule so he could stay home with Baby. She will be going to daycare tomorrow and Thursday.) Well, I left him a couple of lists. The first was a list of all the things he could do with her, such as read books, play on her playmat, take her for a walk, go outside and look at the flowers, play with bubbles, sit her in the Bumbo, play on the floor with her toys, sing to her, dance with her, etc.

The second was a list of her daily schedulings and what to do and when. For example, when she first wakes up in the morning she will hang out and play, and then is the best time to take a shower. If you pick her up and play with her before taking a shower, then try to put her back down, she will get upset. The list also said when to put her down for a nap (approximately), and when she eats, etc.

Maybe I should have named this blog the list blog.

Anyway, it wasn't too hard to leave Baby today because I didn't have to take her anywhere. She got to stay right where she was and Husband took care of her. He was even able to bring her to me during my lunch break so I could nurse her. (She was really excited to see me, but didn't want to eat too much. I'm not sure if it worked out too well, but at least she got a little something.)

While at the training I was able to pump twice, which worked out really well. I had contacted the lady in charge and told her I needed a lactation room. There were two of us who did, so she set us up in an office with lots of privacy and we just coordinated using the room. It was great. I'm a little worried about going back to my classroom, though. I'm going to have to triple check to make sure the door is locked, then barricade myself in a corner just in case. I'll figure it out when I go and set up shop in a couple of weeks.

Overall, Husband said Baby cried a lot and refused to eat (although she did take a couple of ounces from a sippy cup with a soft spout off and on). She also took really really short naps, totaling about an hour all day. He was able to distract her and took a few cute videos of her. He even managed to do a load of laundry. I was impressed.

Baby was very happy to see me when I got home and was extremely hungry. She ate and ate and then spit up a few times from eating so much. Next time I will have to pace her a little bit so she doesn't spit it all back up.

Tomorrow will be different because I am dropping her off at daycare in the morning. I'm currently putting together my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!