Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Batteries

My goal has been to nurse for a whole year.  I am soooo close.  Like really close, and I don't see Baby stopping anytime soon.  I don't mind nursing at all.  In fact, I really like it because I feel close to Baby and it makes me feel like I am doing what I am supposed to as a mom.  It's really easy and I know she's getting the right nutrients. 

The problem is with pumping.  I am so done.  I have been pumping milk every day at work two to three times each day.  I've gotten on a pretty good schedule so that I do it during my prep period and during my lunch. 

Sometimes I have Saturday trainings, too.  Like just recently.  I have worked it out with the administrators that I have a private office to use and can disappear to it at any time with no negative consequences for not being in the training the whole time.  I've done this numerous times since Baby was born. 

Well, at my last training I had forgotten my power cord to my pump.  This was no big deal because I carry backup batteries just in case I don't have an outlet or the electricity goes out or something.

I put my batteries in and the pump didn't work (yes, I've used batteries in it before and it's been fine.).  I think the batteries were too old, or dead.  I took them out and rearranged them to see if that would work (it usually works with the TV remote), but it didn't happen.  I spent ten minutes assembling and reassembling my pump to try to get it to work.  I contemplated calling Husband to bring me more batteries.

Instead, I made a huge mess by attempting to manually express.  Luckily I had a receiving blanket that I carry with me that helps me think of Baby.  I was able to get a little bit of milk out manually to relieve the pressure, and used the blanket to clean up the mess I had made.  That day I only expressed a couple ounces (it takes a LOT longer to express milk manually), and I only did it once.

I was fed up with it and am looking forward to the year mark that I have set as my goal.  Once that year mark comes I am going to decrease pumping until I don't need to do it at all during the work day.  It's a huge hassle and really takes a lot of valuable time.  Right now I know it's the right thing for me and Baby, but boy will it be nice when I am done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!