Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mommy and Baby Yoga

I signed up for Mommy and Baby Yoga for the entire month of June. I had been looking for something to do to help me get back into shape and to ease the pain in my aching back. I also needed something where I would be able to take Baby since I don't have anyone to watch her just yet. Plus, I don't really want to leave her. I found Stroller Strides, which is an organization that does aerobics outdoors with babies in jogging strollers, but I don't have a jogging stroller and the girl in charge for my city never got back to me. A friend told me about the Mommy and Baby Yoga going on, so I decided to commit to that.

I wasn't sure what I was in for, but I paid in advance for all five sessions. In other words, I have to go or I will be forfeiting some hard earned money (and we're trying to be frugal right now since I'm not working). This is in hopes that I will be able to lose some of this baby weight, or at least be motivated to do something about it. I figured paying for the class is cheaper than buying an all new wardrobe before I start work.

Today was the first session and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was excited that I could bring Baby with me, but didn't know if she would have a meltdown in the middle of class. It's super early in the morning (you know, because 9 is really early!), and I didn't know if she would need to eat or sleep at that time (I really need to get a set schedule going, but I'm not motivated).

The instructor is the same instructor from my prenatal yoga class. She remembered me and was very happy to see me (I think she needs more enrollment). She is a very peaceful, calm person; everything you expect a yoga instructor to be. She has one of those hypnotizing voices that can lull a person to relax, whether they want to or not.

There were two other mothers in the class. One had a five week old daughter, and the other had a twelve week old daughter. That made Baby the oldest. The class went really well, I think. Surprisingly, none of the babies had any meltdowns, although the five week old did get a little fussy at one point. Her mom just popped a pacifier in her mouth, and she was fine (Wouldn't that be nice! Baby will have nothing to with pacifiers. I have pacifier envy.)

Each of us had our yoga mats facing the instructor, and then a blanket next to us for the babies. Basically we did yoga poses holding the babies, or using them as weights, or laying them on the mat in front of us and making silly faces at them (especially in downward dog- it's like an inverted V shape with your body). They were used as an attachment to us, and we learned how to balance with them. The class was also designed for the babies' benefit, too. We wiggled our babies legs to have them do little lunges, and gave them a baby massage.

At the end of the class, during the relaxation part, the babies were supposed to be on our tummies listening to our heartbeats and breathing. Notice I said supposed to. By this time, the twelve week old had gotten fussy and was put in her carseat to take a nap, and the five week old was lying next to her mom, and my Baby was starting to do her dolphin talk because she didn't like that position. The instructor was great about telling us to go at our baby's pace and do whatever worked for us.

I think Baby enjoyed the class. She was mesmerized by the other babies and mommies. We were in the middle, so she kept turning her head from side to side to look at each one. She loved when I used her as a weight and lifted her above my head, then down to the ground multiple times. At this point I was jealous of the five week old (you know, because she only weighed a couple of pounds, and Baby is heavy). The mother with the twelve week old commented on how cute Baby was. She really is, especially when she smiles and laughs (I know, I'm a little biased!).

I could tell Baby was starting to get tired during the class, but she refused to fall asleep on the mat. She wasn't screaming like she sometimes does when tired, she just demanded attention. I think the class really wore her out, though. On the ride home she conked out in her carseat. I left her there and she slept for almost an hour (Not in the car! What are you thinking? I took the carseat inside).

I'm looking forward to next week because my stomach muscles are already sore. That means I did something right! Also, my back felt much more relaxed after the class. Hopefully I'll be able to shed a few inches and fit into more clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!