Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

It's a Tuck Everlasting Kind of Life

Have you read the book Tuck Everlasting?  Or seen the movie?  I remember reading it when I was in elementary school, and then again when I was taking a Children's Literature course in college.  It is a nonfiction novel about a family who stumbled upon a water source that made them live forever.  They are the Tuck Family.  I remember a description in the book where a girl from the town (Winnie), goes into their home and says that the family moves like they have all the time in the world (which they do, she just didn't know it at that point).  The mother's movements were patient and unhurried.  The family didn't have to be in a rush to do anything because they could take as long as they wanted.  They literally had all the time in the world.  They were in the middle of a wheel, where the spokes keep moving around them, but the center never moved location.  

I feel like I'm moving at a Tuck Everlasting speed.  I don't feel rushed to do anything.  I don't have any deadlines to meet, any specific schedule to follow.  I can be patient and take my time to do things.

That doesn't mean it's always pleasant and peaceful at my house.  Far from it.  Baby throws tantrums, Baby2 screams and screams.  But I know it won't last forever and time will just keep on moving.

It's a weird feeling for someone who used to be run by the clock: getting Baby to daycare on time so  I wouldn't be late to work, then teaching very structured class periods punctuated by the annoying school bell.  Then off to pick up Baby, get her to bed on time, and repeat the next day. 

Now the wheel keeps spinning around us, but we are in the center.  Unrushed, with all the time in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!