Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Cures for Colic

Baby2 likes to cry.  She cries and she cries and she cries and she cries.  If she's not sleeping, she's crying.  Lately, it's been getting better, but she still cries a lot.  Here are the top eleven cures that I've tried:

1)  Using the Five S's from the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block."  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.

2)  Holding Baby2 in the Moby wrap while pacing the house. 

3)  Giving Baby2 to Husband or any random person who happens to be around.     

4)  Turning up music and shaking my hips.  One night I held her in the Moby Wrap while I shook my hips to the top tunes of the 90s and 2000s.  It worked.  She stopped crying as long as the music was on and I was dancing.  If I stopped either one, screaming ensued.

5)  Jumping on the trampoline.  Don't freak out, just gentle rocking motion that doesn't even count as jumping.  This sometimes helps calm Baby2.

6)  Walking on the elliptical bike with Baby2 in the Moby Wrap.  I recently discovered this one.  She really likes the rhythmic movement.

7)  Putting Baby2 in the baby swing.  

8)  Carrying her in the Moby while we take a walk around the neighborhood.  This is a pretty good one.  Usually she will fall asleep while I walk.  The moment I stop she will wake up and scream again.

9)  Turning on some form of white noise, like the vent fan above the stovetop.  Or the vacuum cleaner. 

10)  Using a vibrator.  No, not that kind!  What are you thinking?  A friend of mine lent me a pillow that vibrates so I can put it in the swing with Baby2, or in the carseat, or the Moby.  It's supposed to be soothing.  

11) Skin to skin contact.  I get Baby2 naked (still wearing a diaper, though. I don't want to get peed on), and take off my shirt.  Then I hold her and rock her.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.  Husband knows that nothing else has worked at this point when he comes home and finds me topless.  As he said the other night, "It must not be too bad yet.  You still have your top on."

Most often then not, she just keeps screaming.  When that happens, I turn to sugar.  I once ate practically an entire pan of brownies in one night.  I was sitting at the stovetop, Baby2 strapped to me in the Moby, screaming her little lungs out, vent fan going on high.  The brownies were right in front of me.  What's a girl supposed to do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!