Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I celebrated my first Mother's Day yesterday. I think Husband was more excited about it than I was. He just wants to set the bar high so he can have a great Father's Day. Well, he did a pretty good job.

I had told Husband previously that all I wanted was a nap. And none of this, "Ok go in the other room while I watch the baby cry and you try to sleep" nap. That is not a nap at all. I'm not the type of parent who can sleep through their baby crying. Even if it is down the hall, through a closed door, and muffled by a fan. I can still hear it, and therefore can't sleep. I told him I wanted a nap and he could take Baby out for a walk or somewhere far away where I could not hear her. I'm not sure what he thought of that.

Well Mother's Day Eve Baby fell asleep really early, like around 5 (remember, we have no schedule here). I was tired, so I wanted to sleep too. I told Husband I was going to take a nap, and could he get Baby when she woke up. He agreed. Surprisingly, I was able to sleep for a few hours (yes, I said hours), and it was glorious. Husband watched and played with Baby and she did fine.

Mother's Day Morning I woke up to have breakfast served in bed. I chose healthy cereal (I know, boring, but I'm attempting to lose this baby weight) with a banana. It was nice to eat it in bed while Husband tended to Baby. Baby also gave me "her" Mother's Day present. It is a book entitled "My Mother is So Smart!" and it goes through a bunch of different scenarios of how the character's mother is so smart. I'm sure Baby relates.

Then we went to church for the morning. I can selfishly say that I wanted to be recognized as a new mother in church. In past years they've had all the mothers stand and given out a flower or something special. I was really looking forward to getting a flower. Well, of course we were running late and got in fifteen minutes after the service started. I was really hoping we didn't miss the recognition and looked around to see if anyone had flowers or anything specifying they were a mother. It seemed like I was still in the clear.

At the end of the service (which was geared towards husbands and fathers and all about how to be a better man-supposedly the church's Mother's Day gift to us), they had all the mothers stand up to be recognized. Woo hoo, the moment I was waiting for! I proudly held Baby and stood up while everyone clapped. Unfortunately, no flowers were handed out. Maybe next year.

After service Husband said I could decide whatever we wanted to do for the day. (Now I have to wonder if that was an easy way to not plan the day, but that was ok with me). I had really been craving Jack in the Box's dollar chicken sandwiches, so that's what we had. We went through the drive through and had chicken sandwiches and curly fries. It was super unhealthy and extremely delicious. I could have chosen to go to a fancy restaurant, but I didn't want to have to worry about taking care of Baby and eating in public at the same time, so the drive through was perfect. We also hit up Starbucks so I could get a mocha (decaf of course).

It was a rather gloomy day outside, so I lit a fire in the fireplace (I LOVE fireplaces, one of the reasons we bought this house), and curled up with a book on the floor in front of it. Husband took care of Baby and I got to just hang out. Something I really haven't done in a while. Oh, and Husband also dd the dishes and vacuumed, something I really haven't done in a while...

When Baby fell asleep we watched a fun chick flick, and that concluded my first Mother's Day. It was great how different people told me Happy First Mother's Day. I can never have another first Mother's Day again now. Funny how that works.

Oh, and Husband also got me a massage, which will be wonderful for my aching back. I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!