Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Halloween

We had the hardest time figuring out a costume for Baby this year. 

Wait, that's a lie. 

I had the hardest time finding a costume for Baby.  I wanted to be super creative and adorable all at once.  However, I didn't have the time, the resources, and I was also lacking the creativity bug.  Thus, when Husband called me from the store one day and told me he found Baby a cute little Cinderella dress, I said to go for it. 

Now all we needed were the shoes, tights, and tiara. 

Accessories are so difficult.  Husband found a matching tiara and ordered it online.  I grabbed a pair of tights at Target (after I spent about ten minutes comparing sizes) and a pair of cute little white shoes (after I spent about twenty minutes making Baby try different pairs multiple times.  I finally settle on a pair that were a little too big, but she will grow into them and they didn't fall off when she walked). 

We hung her dress up in her room and referred to it as her "Princess Dress." She tried it on a few times and wandered around the house in it.  We were very excited to take her out trick or treating around the neighborhood. 

The day before Halloween, Baby's tiara still hadn't come in the mail.  Luckily Target had tiaras in the dollar aisle.  (The Disney tiara eventually arrived two days after Halloween).   

Halloween finally arrived.  I rushed out of work to go pick up Baby and Husband got off early.  We came home and started getting ready to go out.  Husband was a guide from the Jungle Cruise Disney ride, and I was a black cat (one of these days we'll actually do a group costume where the whole family fits together.  If that creativity bug bites, that is). 

Husband started to get Baby dressed in her Princess Dress and she freaked out when he tried to put her tights on (which I forgot to mention were waaaay too big when I finally opened them and had to go back to the store for a smaller size).  We decided to forego the tights.  It was a pretty warm night anyway. 

Then he tried to put her dress on. 

She started screaming at the top of her lungs, fighting with him, kicking, pushing, tears streaming down her little, angry face.  He brought her out to me; she was tearing at the dress with all her might, actually starting to rip it.  We thought maybe we'd better take it off and calm her down. 

We tried to reason with her to put on her Princess Dress.  She wasn't seeing any reason. 

We tried to bribe her with the temptation of going outside.  Still no luck. 

We tried to tempt her with her favorite activity, going for a walk.  She still refused. 

Husband was starting to get discouraged.  After all the anticipation and excitement, we might not be able to go trick or treating because our child didn't want to wear her Princess Dress. 

Finally we pulled out the big guns.  We bribed her with candy.  Here's how it went. 

Me:  Baby, do you want some candy?

Baby:  Yeah!

Me:  Then you have to wear your Princess Dress.

Baby:  No!

Me:  If you want some candy, you have to wear your Princess Dress. 

We held up our bowl of candy. 

Me:  Do you want a piece?  You have to wear your Princess Dress.  Will you wear your Princess Dress? 

Baby, while rummaging through the candy bowl: Yeah. 

She picked out a tootsie pop while we put her dress on. 

Me:  Now you have to wear your Princess Dress.  You can't take it off. 

Baby, holding out the Tootsie Pop to me:  OooP  (that means open). 

*Side Note:  How in the world does my child know that Tootsie Pops need to be opened?? 

In all of our Halloween pictures, Baby is walking around in her Princess Dress, clutching her Tootsie Pop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!