Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm a Mommy!

February 7 - February 9
I'm a mommy! This is really weird. I don't think it has sunk in yet. After delivering at 5 in the morning , we were moved to a postpartum room to rest and recover. Recover? Not me! I texted everyone I could think of to proudly announce the birth of my beautiful baby girl. I also made sure to proudly include the fact that I delivered naturally. Yup, I am woman, hear me roar. Anyway.

Husband and I stared at our beautiful girl as she slept away. We had a few hours to ourselves before visitors started to come. I was definitely starting to feel pain from the birth. I couldn't sit, and needed help to go to the bathroom. Although I delivered naturally, I was not above taking painkillers now.

The nurses there were great. One in particular showed me how to feed Baby while lying on my side in the hospital bed. It worked wonderfully.

The first day went by in a blur. I know people came and went, and I probably napped. Each time I needed to get up, Husband was wonderful and lifted me out of the bed. He also changed Baby each time she needed it. The first day passed very quickly for us.

Our first night at the hospital with Baby was tougher than we thought. She cried off and on for a while and Husband walked around the room with her. Finally we got her to nurse and fall asleep.

I had heard a lot of negative facts about nursing- how painful it was, how hard it was to get Baby to latch on, how swollen people got. I was really worried, and I ended up not having any of those problems. Baby was a natural, and apparently so was I. I didn't have any pain at all, she latched on wonderfully (once Nurse showed me how to place her), and I didn't get swollen at all.

We were discharged the next afternoon. Husband went and picked up my prescription drugs and filled out all the necessary paperwork, then came back with the carseat so we could package Baby up and go home. Nurse brought in a wheelchair to roll me out, which I thought was hilarious. You want me to SIT?? Remember that I just pushed a baby out, had an episiotomy, and got a couple of not so pleasant hemorrhoids because of pushing so hard? I told her, no thank you, I would walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!