Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Anemia and Gestational Diabetes


November 21, 2009
I need to stop checking my lab results online. Husband calls me a hypochondriac, but I am usually right. I don't think I'm a hypochondriac, just a good researcher.

The hospital emailed me my lab results. They don't email any explanation, just the results and what the normal range would be. Usually if there is a problem a nurse will call within a few days. In the meantime I get to become crazy mother-to-be who scares Husband with her moodiness.

According to to my blood tests, I am not in the standard rage. Of course I googled what they meant. By my non-medical definition, and I could be totally wrong but I am usually right, I am anemic and have gestational diabetes. With the anemia thing I could be slightly wrong. My numbers were only off by .1 on the first part and one point something on the second part. Although the internet did say some of the symptoms of anemia are leathargy and fatigue. I definitely fit that bill. I have been really really tired lately. I just thought maybe the baby was going through a growth spurt and stealing all my energy. Not having enough iron could be another cause, though.

The glucose test I am pretty sure of. My numbers were much higher than the standard range. That means (if I'm right) I get to go back in and have a three hour sugar test done to see how I react to sugar over an extended period of time. I will also get to talk to a dietitian or nutritionist or something.

Now I'm totally bummed and worried about what this means for the baby. I heard that babies who come from mothers with gestational diabetes are larger. I don't want a big baby. Nope, I'll take a nice, healthy, little one please.

Since I was researching my blood tests, I decided to research the RhoGam shot as well. Whoever said ignorance is bliss wasn't kidding. Why do I do this to myself? Curse you, internet wealth of information. I found quite a few sites against the shot that stated it does more harm than good and may be linked to neural disorders and maybe autism. However, the second child a person has is usually fine. So it's like sacrificing the first child to have another. Now I'm filled with irrational fears that I may have unintentionally harmed my baby, although I'm pretty sure that everything will be fine, it's that little voice in the back of my head saying, well what if?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!