Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All Natural

December 21, 2009
Another doctor's appointment, another waste of time. Seriously. Last time I had an appointment with this doctor I had to wait over an hour. Today's appointment was also about an hour wait. I had my weight and blood pressure taken (I've gained five more pounds and the blood pressure is normal), Husband was invited in after I told the nurse I felt safe at home, and then the doctor did her two second measuring tape bit, listened to the heartbeat, and told me all seemed fine. I could have told her that! The only beneficial part of this appointment was that Husband and I were able to obtain the necessary documentation to put in for leave when the baby is born.

I think I was rude during this appointment, too. I asked Husband afterward if he thought I had been, but he said I was fine. Before the doctor had come in, the nurse showed us to the waiting area and told us the doctor was running late with another patient. I asked the nurse if the doctor was chronically late, and she gave me an apologetic smile and kind of shrugged. Then she showed herself out.

By the time the doctor showed up I had snagged the next pregnancy monthly letter that they normally give me and both Husband and I had read through it. Separately. The doctor asked me if I had received the flu shot or H1N1 vaccine and I told her no, and she couldn't talk me into it. So she tried. She told me all about how pregnant women are in the highest risk category, and one out of three end up in the Intensive Care Unit due to the virus. I told her I still wasn't interested. Husband chimed in and told her that talking to me about it was like talking to a brick wall. Thanks, dear.

In case you haven't noticed, I am trying to be as natural as possible during this pregnancy. This includes refraining from injections containing tiny bits of viruses and preservatives. If I do so happen to catch something, then I do. If I don't, then I don't. I will try my best to be careful of who I am around and to wash my hands at every opportunity, especially before eating, but I refuse to purposefully inject alien particles into my body.

My next appointment is on January 12. I told the scheduling nurse that I did not have a preference of doctor. Maybe I will see someone else for the next appointment. As it turns out, choosing a doctor does not mean that specific doctor will deliver the baby. Instead, whoever is on duty at that time will deliver the baby. I don't really mind. I figure they are all very well trained and know what they are doing. I would prefer a female, though at the time I don't think I will care. I told Husband that it was up to him to see that my wishes were carried out (i.e. tell me what they are doing when they do it, don't give the baby any formula, don't take the baby out of the room unless Husband goes with them, etc.). We will just have to wait and see who I get. Besides, my doctor told me she will be in Hawaii during my due date, so unless I can hold out for two weeks after, there is no chance she will be tending to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog!